Chapter Programs at Golf Courses
The First Tee uses golf to teach youth core values, healthy habits, and life skills. Teaming up with experts in positive youth development, The First Tee helps youth become good golfers and even better people.
The First Tee—Central Carolina has programming available at 18 locations all across central North Carolina, with our two learning centers at Gillespie Golf Course in Greensboro and Winston Lake Golf Course in Winston Salem. We have over 50 life skills classes offered during both our Spring and Fall seasons, reaching over 1,500 children this past year. Our sessions run from 4:30 pm to 6:00 pm one day a week over the course of an eight week period. Sessions include a fun, group setting for youth ages 7 to 18 regardless of background or experience. Throughout the course of each session, children have the opportunity to learn a wide variety of life skills and enjoy practicing their golf game.
A Youth Program Unlike Any Other
The First Tee emphasizes Nine Core Values: confidence, courtesy, honesty, integrity, judgement, perseverance, respect, responsibility, and sportsmanship. Through golf and our core values, your kids and teens will learn life skills like:
- Making proper introductions
- Creating goals
- Managing emotions
- Making positive choices
- Resolving conflicts
- Planning for the future
- Appreciating diversity
The First Tee also teaches Nine Healthy Habits of safety, energy, play, mind, vision, family, friends, school, and community, which were created by the Annika Foundation, and are factors that should be taken into consideration within our daily lives.
Advancing through the Program
From age 7 through 18, youth progress through different levels by demonstrating the First Tee Nine Core Values, Healthy Habits and golf skills, as well as passing an assessment. All participants regardless of age start at the PLAYer level. The pinnacle of The First Tee is completing ACE.
- PLAYer (required minimum age 7) – Tee up for the first time and learn the game of golf, through the use of The First Tee Nine Core Values.
- Par (recommended minimum age 9) – Focus on interpersonal and self-management skills on and off the course.
- Birdie (recommended minimum age 11) – Emphasis on setting goals and making them a reality.
- Eagle (recommended minimum age 13) – Learn resilience, conflict resolution, and future planning.
- ACE (required minimum age 14 or entering 9th grade) – Put it all together and hone in on setting goals, career education, and giving back to the community.